CCHI is pleased to announce the establishment of the “Discover Healthcare Interpreting” CoreCHI™ Scholarship thanks to contributions from language companies, CCHI Commissioners and staff. The purpose of the scholarship is to support interpreters of languages for which only the CoreCHI™ certification is currently available, including refugee languages and languages of lesser diffusion.
CCHI has identified a particular need to support interpreters in smaller language communities in their pursuit of earning the designation of a certified interpreter. In keeping with CCHI's mission to offer a professional certification for healthcare interpreters of all languages, CCHI asked language companies to support interpreters seeking the CoreCHI™ certification. We are grateful and excited to announce that two companies rushed to help! Thanks to their contributions, CCHI will award up to five (5) scholarships, in the amount of $210 each, each half-year cycle in 2017.
The inaugural 2017 Spring Cycle scholarships are made possible thanks to the generous contribution from Fluency (www.goFluently.com, Carmichael, CA). We express our deep gratitude to Bill Glasser personally for being instrumental in providing the support.
Look for the announcement about the sponsor of the 2017 Fall Cycle scholarships!
What is the scholarship amount?
Each scholarship is $210 and covers the CCHI application fee ($35) and the fee for one administration of the CoreCHI™ exam ($175).
How to apply?
- Click here to download the Scholarship Application in MS Word format. Please read and follow the instructions. The application consists of 4 sections:
- Demographic information
- Statements of Eligibility and Release of Liability
- Essay on one of the specified topics (300-500 words)
- Applicant’s bio.
- The application must be complete and emailed as one (1) file. Incomplete applications are not reviewed.
- The scholarships are awarded only to new applicants (i.e. those who have not submitted a certification application prior to the scholarship award) and cannot be used retroactively.
Who can apply?
- Interpreters who meet CCHI’s eligibility requirements (www.cchicertification.org/44-certification/eligibility-criteria/90-eligibility-criteria).
- Interpreters of languages for whom a CHI™ oral performance exam is not available, i.e. CoreCHI™ candidates. This scholarship is not available to Arabic, Mandarin or Spanish interpreters. (We are looking for potential sponsors of the CHI™ certification candidates.)
- Interpreters who agree to take the CoreCHI™ exam within six (6) months of receiving the scholarship.
When to apply?
Applications for the Spring Cycle must be submitted via email by 11:59 pm PDT on June 25, 2017. Applications submitted after this date are not reviewed.
How are winners selected?
- CCHI Scholarship Committee reviews complete applications submitted within the announced deadline.
- Applicants must meet CCHI certification eligibility criteria (www.cchicertification.org/44-certification/eligibility-criteria/90-eligibility-criteria).
- Applicants must agree to all terms of Section 2 of the application.
- CCHI representatives may contact finalists for an over-the-phone/teleconferencing interview as part of the selection process.
CCHI Scholarship Committee awards scholarships based on merit. The number of scholarships awarded each cycle depends on the funds availability and is subject to change. CCHI reserves the right to suspend or discontinue scholarship awards at any time and without any notice.
When are winners announced?
The winners of the Spring Cycle scholarships are announced on July 15, 2017.