Congratulations on taking the next step toward becoming a certified healthcare interpreter. Our primary goal is to provide you with a credible process that will enhance the profession of healthcare interpreting and in turn benefit the communities that are in need of healthcare interpreters. CCHI has researched and built its program based on data from the field that reflects the knowledge, skills, performance and expectations for healthcare interpreting.
To Prepare for Your Exam:
- Download and review the test blueprint that provides details on the subjects listed below and covered by the exam. ATTENTION! If you are taking the CoreCHI exam before December 15, 2017, use this 2010 Exam Specifications version to prepare: Test Content Outline.
If you are taking the CoreCHI exam after December 15, 2017, use the 2017 Exam Specifications version to prepare: Test Content Outline 2017.
This is the current test blueprint in effect until mid-December 2017:
CoreCHI™ Exam – Managing Healthcare Interpreter Functions
- Manage an Interpreting Encounter (30% of the exam)
- Understand Healthcare Terminology (24%)
- Interact with Other Healthcare Professionals (22%)
- Prepare for an Interpreting Encounter (19%)
- Demonstrate Cultural Responsiveness (5%)
CHI™ Exam – Interpreting in a Healthcare Setting
- Interpret Consecutively (75%)
- Interpret Simultaneously (14%)
- Sight Translate (9%)
- Translate Healthcare Documents (2%)
- Use CCHI's Exams Study Checklist to develop and follow a personal study plan. This could include self-study, finding a study buddy or group.
- Review our sample questions in the CCHI’s Candidate's Examination Handbook.
- Watch CCHI’s Webinars about both exams and how to prepare for them (Sorry for the inconvenience, we are updating our materials. Please check again after 11/30/17). See the PowerPoint slides about the CoreCHI exam.
- Read the Job Task Analysis (JTA) Study and Results (2010) to learn how it dertermined the examination content for the exams that are currently in operation. Read the latest 2016 JTA Study report which is the foundation for updating CCHI's exams in 2017 (see #1 above).
- Review and understand the healthcare interpreter codes of ethics (scroll down to the bottom of the page).
- Review medical terminology. Sign up for our free downloadable multi-lingual mini-glossaries at http://www.cchicertification.org/certification-resources/mini-glossary-signup.
- Take the CoreCHI™ Practice Exam to familiarize yourself with computer-based testing and the type of questions the actual exam contains. Keep in mind that you are not required to take the CoreCHI ™ Practice Exam before scheduling your actual exam. Our proctors at the test center will show you how to navigate the computer-based exam before you start. View PowerPoint slides about the CHI™ exam (include screenshots of actual exam). As we are currently updating our materials, we do not offer a sample test for the oral performance exams. Please check back in Dec 2017.
- For the CHI™ Exam, create your own vignettes, use YouTube videos, or purchase material that already exists in this area.
- Work with a language partner or record yourself and evaluate for accuracy, completeness, grammar, smooth delivery, etc.
- Work on your memory skills.
- Gather different healthcare documents and instructions given to patients in various settings and sight translate them (i.e., intake, legal waivers, patients education materials, consent forms, etc.).